Rava Upma is a South Indian breakfast dish made of Rava/ Sooji. Upma is very easy to prepare. Today I am sharing my mom's upma recipe.
Rava / Sooji / Semolina ~ 1 CupGrated carrot ~ 1/2 cup
Chopped Beans ~ 1/4 cup ( Very small pieces )
Chopped Onions ~ 1/2 cup
Ginger ~ 1/2 tbspGarlic ~ 1/2 tbsp
Green chillies ~ 2 Nos
Turmeric powder ~ 3 pinch
Hot water ~ 1 cup
Urad Dal (Uzhunnu ) ~ 1 tbsp
Curry leaves ~ 4-5 leaves
Mustard seedsDry Red chillies ~ 2 Nos
- Roast Rava / Sooji in a pan without adding oil in medium flame till it become slightly brown in color. ( Note : If you are buying roasted Rava / Sooji from the grocery shop, then you can skip this step. )
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds crackle add dry red chillies ( 2 Nos ) and curry leaves. Then add Urad Dal and fry till it becomes light brown in color.
- And then add chopped onions , chopped ginger , chopped garlic and chopped green chillies . Saute it till onions become soft. Then add chopped vegetables . And fry it for another 5-10 minutes.
- Then add 1 cup of hot water along with salt and turmeric powder and bring it to a boil.
- Then lower the flame and add Rava / Sooji and immediately mix it nicely in order to avoid the formation of lumps. Continue stirring for almost 1 minute or until almost all water is absorbed by the Rava / Sooji. And then remove from the flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, fried cashew nuts and fried raisins. ( This step is optional )
I love to have upma with sugar and banana..You can even have it with chutney.