Kerala style chicken curry is one of my favorite non-veg curry. I am sharing my mom's Kerala style chicken curry.
Chicken ~ 1 kg
Lemon Juice ~ 2 tbsp
Onion ~ 2 Nos
Green chillies ~ 5 Nos ( Split Lengthwise )
Tomato ~ 1 No ( Medium Size )
Red Chili Powder
Curry leaves ~ 1 stem
Chopped coriander leaves ~ 1/4 cup ( Optional )
Cloves ~ 6 Nos
Cinnamon Sticks ~ 2 small pieces
Cardamom ~ 3 Nos
Fennel seeds ~ 1/2 tsp
Star Anise ~ 2 Nos
- Wash the chicken pieces nicely.And then marinate the chicken pieces with 2 tbsp lemon juice, salt & 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. And keep it aside for 15- 30 minutes.
- Then dry roast 2 small pieces of cinnamon sticks, 6 cloves, 3 cardamom, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds and 2 star anise for 2-3 minutes and then grind them into a coarse powder.
- Then heat 1/4 cup oil in a pan and add thinly sliced onions and saute it till it become soft and then add chopped ginger, chopped garlic , curry leaves and green chillies. Saute it for another 5 minutes.
- Then add 2 1/2 tbsp coriander powder, 3/4 tbsp - 1 tbsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp pepper powder, 1/4 tsp cumin powder and fry it in low flame for 2 minutes..(Note: The powder will become dark in color. But do make sure not to burn the powder.)
- Then add chopped tomato along with little salt. Fry till tomatoes are nicely done.
- Then add the chicken pieces and mix it nicely.Then cook it uncovered for 5 minutes. Then close it with a lid and cook in medium flame and allow it to cook in its own juice. After 15 minutes add 1 tsp of ground spices and mix it nicely.
- Then add 1 cup of thick coconut milk along with enough water, depending on how much gravy you prefer.
- Then cook uncovered for some more time, till the gravy reaches the desired consistency. ( Note: Chicken usually need 20-25 minutes for cooking ).
- When its done remove from the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
Note: Adjust the amount of Red chili powder and Pepper powder according to your spice tolerance level.