Pachadi refers to a traditional South Indian side-dish. In Kerala and Tamilnadu, pachadi is a side-dish curry similar to the north Indian Raita. Pachadi is typically made of finely chopped and boiled vegetables with coconut, green or red chillies and tempered in oil with mustard seeds, ginger and curry leaves. Curd/yogurt based pachadi can be made of any vegetable, although pumpkin, mango, banana or pineapple are common. Pachadi is commonly eaten with rice.Its a common side-dish for Onam Sadya.I am sharing Pineapple Pachadi recipe.
Chopped pineapple ~ 2 cups
Green chillies ~ 2-3 Nos ( Split lengthwise )
Chopped ginger ~ 1tsp
Grated coconut ~ 1/2 cup
Dry red chillies
Curd / Yogurt ~ 1/3 cup
Curry leaves ~ 2-3 leaves
Oil ~ 2 tbsp
- Cook chopped pineapple, Ginger, Green chillies & salt by adding 1/2 cup of water. It may take about 15-20 minutes. (Cook covered for the first 5-10 mins ).
- Grind grated coconut ,2 dry red chillies, and 1/2 tsp mustard seeds by adding 2-3 tbsp of water.
- Then add the ground coconut mixture to the cooked pineapple and mix it well. Then lower the flame and cook it till, it starts boiling or you can even cook it till almost all water in it is evaporated. Note: Pachadi should not be watery. It should be almost thick.
- Then remove the pachadi from the flame and add beaten curd into it and mix it well.
- Heat oil in another pan and add 2 pinch mustard seeds, when it crackles, add 2 dry red chillies & curry leaves. Saute for sometime and mix it will pachadi.
Enjoy Pineapple Pachadi with rice.
Recipe adapted from Vanitha magazine....