Erissery is one of the inevitable traditional kerala dishes. It can be made with most of the vegetables, like Pumpkin , Yam , Raw Plantain, Papaya, Tapioca etc .And Pumpkin Erissery is one of the famous among them. Today I am sharing my Mother-in-law's Pumpkin Erissery recipe, which is my favorite too.
Pumpkin pieces ~ 2 1/2 cups ( Medium size pieces )
Red Beans / Black Eyed Beans ~ 1/2 cup
Red Chilly powder ~ 1 tsp
Green chillies ~ 3-4 Nos ( Split Lengthwise )
Curry leaves ~ 1 stem
Grated coconut ~ 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds ~ 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder ~ 1/4 tsp
Chopped Garlic ~ 1 tbsp
Shallots ~ 2-3 Nos
Dry red chillies ~ 1-2 Nos
- Wash and soak Red Beans / Black Eyed Beans in water overnight and pressure cook by adding 1 cup water and little salt for 2 whistles.
- Grind grated coconut, cumin seeds, garlic, shallots and turmeric powder by adding 1 tbsp of water.Note: 4-5 pulses in mixer grinder will be needed.
- Then cook the pumpkin pieces covered for 15 minutes by adding 1/2 -3/4 cup of water along with chilly powder, green chillies, curry leaves and little salt. Mash the pumpkin pieces using a wooden spoon.
- Then add cooked red beans / black eyed beans and continue cooking for some more time and then add ground coconut paste and mix it nicely. Cook till it reaches your preferred consistency and remove from the flame.
- Heat oil in another pan and add mustard seeds. When it crackles , add dry red chillies and 2-3 tbsp of grated coconut. Fry till coconut becomes dark brown in color. And add this to Erissery,