Today I am sharing the recipe of Vazhuthanaga thoran / Brinjal Thoran / Eggplant stir fry.
Chopped Brinjal - 2 1/2 cups
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Green chillies - 3-4 Nos
Shallots - 3-4 Nos
Chopped garlic - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 4-5 leaves
Urad dal / Uzhunnu - 1 tbsp
Dry red chillies - 2 Nos
- Chop brinjal to small pieces and then wash it nicely by changing the water 2-3 times.
- Coarsely grind grated coconut, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, green chillies, garlic and shallots by adding 1-2 tbsp of water. Just 2-3 pulses in a mixer grinder is enough.
- Then place the chopped brinjal on the paper towel and drain it nicely.
- Then heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it crackles, add dry red chillies followed by curry leaves and urad dal.
- When the urad dal turns light brown in color, add ground coconut mixture along with enough salt. Keep in a medium low flame till all the water in coconut mixture get evaporated. ( Make sure not to burn the coconut )
- Then add brinjal pieces and mix it nicely and cook uncovered in a medium low flame for 10-12 minutes or till its completely cooked. ( Note: No need to add water, as brinjal will give off its juice ).
Click here to view other Thoran recipes.