Today I am sharing the recipe of an easy and spicy side-dish called Mango (Manga) Chammanthi / Chutney / Chammanthy / Thenga Chammanthi. Its a good accompaniment with Rice / Kanji (Rice Soup). It can be either in solid or in liquid form. Usually liquid chammanthi is served with Dosa / Idily. And solid chammanthi is served with Rice.
Grated coconut ~ 1 cup
Raw mango medium sized pieces ~ 1/2 cup
Shallots ~ 2-3 Nos
Ginger ~ a small piece
Green chillies ~ 2-3 Nos
Red chilly powder ~ 1/2 tbsp - 3/4 tbsp or Dry red chillies ~ 5-6 Nos
- Roast red chilly powder / dry red chillies in a pan without adding oil in a very low flame for less than a minute and allow it to cool.
- Grind coarsely grated coconut, shallots, mango pieces, red chilly powder / dry red chillies, green chillies, ginger and salt by adding very little water.
- Maximum 1 1/2 tbsp of water is enough for grinding. Remember we don't want our chammanthi to be in a liquid form.
- Change the amount of red chilly powder / green chillies according to your spice preference.
- If you have any leftovers, then you can store it in an air tight container and refrigerate it for about 1-2 days. Just remove from the fridge and keep it outside for at least 30 minutes before serving.