I am sharing the recipe of Kabuli Chana Curry / Vella kadala Curry / Kabuli Chickpea Curry.
Kabuli Chana (Vella Kadala) / Chickpeas ~ 1 Cup
Onions ~ 1 No
Green chillies ~ 3-4 Nos ( Split Lengthwise )
Chopped garlic ~ 1 1/2 tbsp
Coriander powder ~ 2 tbsp
Red Chilly Powder ~ 1/2 -3/4 tbsp
Turmeric powder ~ 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala ~ 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder ~ 1/4 tsp
Chopped Coriander leaves ~ 1/4-1/2 cup
Tomato ~ 1 No ( Large Size )
Rice flour ~ 1 tbsp ( Optional )
Thick Coconut Milk ~ 1/4 cup ( Optional )
- Soak Kabuli Chana / Vella Kadala / Chickpeas in water for about 6-7 hours.
- Then pressure cook chickpeas, chopped onions, green chillies and salt by adding about 3 cups of water till 5-6 whistles. The chickpeas should become soft enough to be able to squeeze it with our fingers. ( Note: I am using Prestige Pressure Cooker )
- Then heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it crackles, add chopped garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
- Then lower the flame and add coriander powder, red chilly powder, garam masala, cumin powder, turmeric powder and fry for less than 1 minute.Make sure not to burn the powder.
- Then add chopped tomato and little salt and fry till tomatoes become mushy.Then add the cooked chickpeas along with the water.
- Simmer in medium flame for 5-10 minutes. Then add chopped coriander leaves.
- Then mix 1 tbsp of rice flour in 1/4 cup of warm water and add this to the chickpeas curry. This will make the gravy thicker or you can even add 1/4 cup of thick coconut milk.(This step is Optional )
- After 5 minutes remove from the flame.
Enjoy Kabuli Chana Curry with Chapathi / Rice / Puttu or even Dosa.