Chopped Kovakka / Ivy Gourd ~ 2 cups
Grated coconut ~ 3/4 cup
Turmeric powder ~ 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds ~ 1/4 tsp
Green chillies ~ 3-4 Nos
Chopped Onions ~ 1/2 cup
Dry red chillies ~ 2-3 Nos
Salt to taste
- Wash and cut Kovakka / Ivy Gourd vertically and cut it into thin pieces. The pieces will resemble a hemisphere. You can even cut it into thin circles.
- Grind grated coconut , turmeric powder, cumin seeds and 2 green chillies , by adding very little water. Just 2-3 pulses on a mixer grinder will be enough
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add dry red chillies and saute for sometime.
- Then add chopped kovakka / ivy gourd, chopped onions, 2 green chillies ( vertically split) and salt.
- Saute it for a minute.
- And then we can add little water (3-4 tbsp will be enough ) along with ground coconut mixture.
- Then cook it covered for 10-15 minutes and then stir it nicely and cook it uncovered for another 5 minutes or till the water evaporates.
- Remove from the flame and serve hot with rice.