My today's recipe is Kerala crab vattichathu / Kerala crab masala / Kerala style Njandu curry / Kerala style crab cooked in coconut milk.
Crabs ~ 5-6 nos ( Medium sized )
Onions ~ 2 nos ( Medium sized )
Green chilies ~ 4-5 nos ( Split length-wise)
Chopped ginger ~ 1.5 tsp
Chopped garlic ~ 1.5 tsp
Curry leaves ~ 1 stem
Thick coconut milk / Thenga Paal ~ 3/4 cup
Curd ~ 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder ~ 1/2 tsp
Red chilly powder ~ 1.5 tsp
Cumin powder / Jeerakam podi ~ 1/4 tsp
Garam masala ~ 1/2 tsp
Oil ~ 2 - 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
- First clean the crabs and allow it to drain. Next heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves along with chopped ginger & garlic and fry for less than a minute.
- Next add sliced onions and green chilies and saute till onions become translucent. Reduce the flame and add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and cumin powder and fry for couple of seconds, then add cleaned crabs along with garam masala and enough salt and let it cook covered in a medium flame for about 15 minutes.
- Next add curd and mix it nicely. Finally add thick coconut milk and cook in a low flame for another 10 minutes or till the crabs are fully cooked and gravy is slightly thickened.
- Adding shallots instead of onions will enhance the taste of curry.
- Crabs will give off its juice while cooking, so there is no need to add water.
- You need to cook the crabs till its shell turns orange in color.
Enjoy with rice / chapathi.....:))