After spending around 2 months in India, I am finally back in US and to the blogging world and today I am going to share a beef recipe, Kerala beef-potato Ularthu..I got the idea of preparing this dish from a magazine which I read back in India and the main thing that drawn my attention to that particular dish was the potato and beef combination....I love potatoes, so the idea of adding potatoes to beef sounded very interesting and appetizing to me and thankfully I was not wrong, it was indeed very delicious....:)
Beef ~ 1 kg ( I used boneless chuck steak )
Potatoes ~ 3 nos ( Peeled and chopped to medium sized pieces )
Coriander powder ~ 2 1/2 tbsp
Red chilly powder ~ ( 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp, use according to your spice tolerance )
Turmeric powder ~ 1 tsp
Fennel powder / Perinjeerakam podi ~ 1 tsp
Black pepper powder ~ 1 tbsp
Home made garam masala ~ 1 tsp
Vinegar ~ 1 tsp
Shallots / Kochu ulli ~ 15-20 nos
Ginger ~ a medium sized piece
Garlic ~ 1 garlic pod
Curry leaves ~ 3-4 stems
Thin coconut slices / Thenga kothu ~ 1/3 cup
Salt to taste
- First wash and chop the beef to small pieces and allow it to drain in a colander. Then dry roast coriander powder, red chilly powder, turmeric powder and fennel powder in a pan till the raw smell of the powders go, but do make sure not to burn the powders.
- Meanwhile cook the potatoes by adding enough water and salt for about 20-25 minutes in a medium flame and when its cooked drain the water.
- Then marinate the beef pieces with roasted powders along with black pepper powder, garam masala, sliced shallots, crushed ginger & garlic, vinegar, curry leaves, 2 tbsp oil and enough salt and refrigerate it for about 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook the marinated beef pieces without adding any water in a medium flame for about 4 whistles. When the pressure is fully released, open the lid and let it cook uncovered in a low flame till the gravy thickens.
- Then add the cooked potato pieces to the beef and mix it without mashing the potatoes and remove from the flame after 5 minutes.
- Heat 3-4 tbsps of oil in an another pan and add 3 to 4 sliced shallots, sliced coconut pieces, curry leaves and saute till they become light brown in color and add that to the beef ularthu.
Serve with Appam / Chapathi / Rice / Kappa.