Today I am sharing the recipe of vazhakka curry which is very easy to prepare and goes very well with rice.
Sliced vazhakka / Sliced raw plantain ~ 2 1/2 cups
Grated coconut ~ 1 cup
Green chillies ~ 4-5 Nos ( Split length-wise )
Shallots / Pearl Onions ~ 5-6 Nos
Coriander powder ~ 3/4 tsp
Red chilly powder ~ 2 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder ~ 1/2 tsp
Tamarind paste ~ 3/4 tsp (You can even use the juice of a small lemon sized tamarind soaked in water )
Curry leaves ~ 1 stem
Salt to taste
Oil ~ 1 tbsp
- Grind grated coconut, shallots, coriander powder and red chilly powder to a fine paste by adding about 1/4 cup of water.
- Wash and cut both the ends of the plantain and then peel the skin off and slice it to medium size pieces.
- Then cook covered the plantain pieces by adding about 1 cup of water along with turmeric powder, green chillies and salt for about 10-15 in a medium flame.
- Then add ground coconut mix to the plantain along with tamarind paste. Then lower the flame and simmer till gravy thickens.
- Then finally add curry leaves and oil and remove from the flame.
Enjoy with Rice.
Recipe Courtesy : Vanitha Magazine.