Fish ~ 500 grams
Onions ~ 2 Nos
Green chillies ~ 4-5 Nos
Garlic ~ 3-4 cloves
Ginger ~ a medium size piece
Tomatoes ~ 2 Nos (Large sized)
Red chilly powder
Garam Masala ~ 1/2 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves ~ 1 cup
Salt to taste
- Clean and cut fish to medium size pieces and allow it to drain.
- Then marinate the fish pieces with 3/4 tsp of red chilly powder, a pinch of turmeric and salt. Keep it aside for about 10 minutes. Then heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the fish pieces in a medium low flame till it become light brown in color and place it on a paper towel.
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions and saute till it becomes transparent. Then add chopped green chillies, crushed ginger and garlic and fry for about 2 minutes. Then lower the flame and add 2 tbsp coriander powder, 2 tsp red chilly powder and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and fry for about a minute. Do make sure not to burn the powder.
- Then in medium-low flame add chopped tomatoes along with 1 1/2 cups - 2 cups of water and salt. Allow it to boil till the gravy thickens and then add fish pieces and cook covered for about 15 minutes. Do shake the pan occasionally.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and garam masala. Remove from the flame after 2-3 minutes.
Adjust the amount of Red chilly powder according to your spice preference.
My family loves spicy dish, so I prepared this by adding 3 tsp of red chilly powder.
Enjoy with Rice.
Recipe Courtesy : Ummi Abdulla