Kerala Parippu Curry / Kerala Moong Dal Curry is one of my all time favorite dish. I still remember, when I was in school, I was a picky eater. I wont eat most of the vegetable dishes and my mom was very much worried about me. One of the vegetarian dish, I used have at that time was this "Parippu Curry". In order to make me eat vegetables she used to prepare this by adding some grated vegetables also. I love having it with Pappadam and Ghee.This Curry is an inevitable dish in an Onam Sadya.
Here comes my recipe.
Moong Dal / Cheru payar parippu ~ 1/2 cup
Green chillies ~ 3-4 Nos
Grated coconut ~ 1/2 cup
Red chilly powder ~ 1/4 -1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder ~ 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds ~ 2 pinch
Garlic ~ 4 cloves
Shallots ~ 2-3 Nos
Curry leaves ~ 1 stem
Dry red chillies ~ 2 Nos
Salt to taste.
- Wash and pressure cook Moong dal, green chillies and salt by adding 2-3 cups of water till 2 whistles
- Meanwhile grind grated coconut, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds and garlic by adding 3-4 tbsp of water to a fine paste.
- Then heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it crackles, add dry red chillies, curry leaves and chopped shallots and saute till shallots become brown in color.
- Then add cooked Moong Dal along with ground coconut paste and mix it nicely.
- Simmer for some more minutes and remove from the flame.