I am sharing the recipe of Kalan ( Plantains in buttermilk and coconut pulp ), which is a popular curry of Kerala. Kalan is one of the main dish of an Onam Sadya/Feast.
Serves ~ 2 Adults
Chopped Raw Plantain / Vazhakka ~ 1 cup
Green chillies ~ 6 Nos (Split length-wise)
Chilly powder ~ 1 tsp
Turmeric powder ~ 1/4 tsp
Grated coconut ~ 3/4 cup
Cumin seeds ~ 1/4 tsp
Beaten Curd / Beaten Yogurt ~ 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds ~ 2 pinch
Curry leaves ~ 4-5 leaves
Dry red chillies ~ 2-3 Nos
- First wash the plantains and peel the skin off using a peeler. Then cut into medium sized square pieces.
- Then cook the plantains by adding 1 cup of water, green chillies, chilly powder, turmeric powder and little salt in a medium flame for about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile grind grated coconut and cumin seeds to a fine paste by adding 3-4 tbsp of water.
- Then add this ground coconut mixture to the cooked plantains and allow it to boil for another 5 minutes. Then lower the flame and add beaten curd / yogurt along with enough salt. And remove from the flame after 2 minutes.
- Heat oil in an another pan and add mustard seeds. When it crackles, add dry red chillies, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves and fry for less than a minute and then pour this to the Kalan.
Enjoy with Rice.