Thuvara parippu (Toor/Toovar Dal/Red gram) ~ 1/2 Cup
Chopped garlic ~ 1 tsp
Chopped tomato ~ 1
Pepper powder ~ 2 tsp
Coriander powder ~ 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder ~ 3/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 2 pinch
Chopped coriander leaves ~ 1/2 cup
Asafoetida powder(Kayam) ~ 2 pinch
Tamarind paste ~ 1 tsp
Dry red chillies ~ 2-3 Nos
Curry leaves ~ 3-4 leaves
- Wash & Pressure cook Toor dal by adding 1 cup of water and little salt, just 2 whistles are enough.
- Mash the cooked Toor dal nicely with a spoon and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start to pop, add dry red chillies & curry leaves and stir for sometime.
- Then add chopped garlic, chopped tomato & chopped coriander leaves and saute till the tomatoes are nicely done.
- Then add pepper powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder & Asafoetida powder and fry it till its raw smell goes.
- After that add tamarind paste,mashed dal and salt.
- Now we can add 1 1/2 cup of water.
- And boil it in low flame for about 10 minutes and remove from the flame.
- Have rasam with rice or even use as a soup.
Note: We can even make Rasam by avoiding Toor dal. Some people dont put dal, they will just use water instead of dal.When we are adding toor dal, rasam will be more thick.You can try both ways.