Today I am sharing the recipe of kerala style prawn biriyani / konju biriyani / chemmeen biriyani / shrimp biryani.
Prawns / Chemmeen ~ 1/2 kg ( Medium sized )
Basmati rice ~ 2.5 cups
Whole garam masala ~ 5 crushed cardamom, 5 cloves, 2 bay leaves, 2 star anise & 2-3 small sized cinnamon stick
Coriander powder ~ 1.5 tbsp
Red chilly powder ~ 3 tsp
Black pepper powder ~ 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder ~ 1 tsp
Fennel powder ~ 2 pinch
Green chilies ~ 15 nos
Mint leaves ~ 1 cup
Coriander leaves ~ 1 cup
Onions ~ 2 nos
Ginger paste ~ 1 tbsp
Garlic paste ~ 1 tbsp
Tomato ~ 2 small sized
Thick coconut milk ~ 1/2 cup
Lemon juice ~ 1 tbsp
Ghee ~ 4 to 5 tbsp
Salt to taste
For garnishing :
Fried cashew nuts ~ 1/2 cup
Fried raisins ~ 1/3 cup
Fried onions ~ 1/2 cup
Home made garam masala ~ 1/2 tsp
Chopped coriander & mint leaves
Yellow food color ~ 2-3 pinches mixed in 2 tbsp of warm milk. (Optional) - Use food color only if you are not adding turmeric powder to the rice.
To prepare rice :
- First wash the rice nicely by changing water 2-3 times and then allow it to drain. Next heat ghee in a big thick bottom pan and fry cashew nuts and raisins and then transfer it to a paper towel.
- Next in a low flame fry the whole garam masala in the remaining ghee for 2-3 minutes. Then add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder along with drained rice and fry the rice slowly for 3-4 minutes. Next add 4.5 cups of water along with enough salt and let it cook covered in a medium-low flame for about 10 minutes, then switch off the flame and keep it covered in the stove itself for about 10-15 minutes or till the water is fully absorbed by the rice.
To prepare gravy
- First peel and de-vein the prawns, then wash it nicely under water and then allow it to drain. Next make a paste of 1.5 tsp chilly powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 2 pinch fennel powder, 1 tbsp lemon juice and little salt and marinate the prawns with the above paste and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Then heat little oil in a non-stick pan and shallow fry the prawns till both sides become light brown in color and then transfer it to a paper towel. (Note: 3-4 minutes each side would be enough )
- Grind coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chilies to a fine paste.Next heat ghee/oil in a pan and add sliced onions and saute till onions become translucent. Then add ginger and garlic paste and saute for another 3-4 minutes. Next add 1.5 tbsp coriander powder, 1.5 tsp red chilly powder, 1/2 tsp pepper powder & 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, fry till the raw smell of powders go.
- Next add sliced tomato and fry till tomatoes are nicely done. Add coriander-green chilly paste followed by 1/2 cup of water and boil till the gravy thickens. Finally add 1/2 cup of thick coconut milk along with fried prawns and enough salt and then remove from the flame after 6-7 minutes.
Enjoy with raita and papad.